MUNI SAY WHAAT??!!

Ah, MUNI, it's the municipal railway system of San Francisco or as I like to call it--Moving Under Negligible Intelligence. For 12 years I got to ride this lovely mode of transportation twice a day everyday and sometimes more.  The overcrowding, the pushy Asian ladies on the L, the loud kids on the T, the homeless on the 22 Fillmore, the smell on the 14 Mission--the list goes on and I just don't miss it.  I'm fortunate to now live in a place where I can walk to work, relieving me of my daily hassle on MUNI.  But every now and then I need to get somewhere in town that the SO doesn't want to go to and I find myself re-discovering the joys(?) of riding the buses and trains again.  But seriously, besides all the kooks on board, there was the interesting aspect of catching whiffs of peoples conversations, especially in the this day and age of cell phones, where you either come in half through the talk, the end of the talk or are just hearing one side of the talk you get to listen in on some bizarre conversations and are pretty much left to your own devices to figure out just what the people/person is talking about....and frankly that's half the fun and a small bright spot in the joys of MUNI.  Just recently I found myself riding about town merely to hear what was going on around me (though I disregarded anyone who was actually talking to themselves only as they are probably crazy---or maybe they are just talking to someone else across town who appears to be talking themselves--who knows?).  Herewith a few snippets of what I heard on my recent fateful day trip:

The T Line:
"No No No Sheree I am telling you he ain't my babies daddy.  I knows because my baby was born with a full head of hair and he be bald so he cain't be the daddy.  I gots to go it my stop."

Woman "So I said why? And he said because, and I said why again and he said because, and I said because why..." (then she thankfully got off the train)

The 30 Stockton:
"Oh my god...is that a chicken?!"
(it probably was though I think it was dead...I think)

The 22 Fillmore:
Guy #1"Well he told me to just try it and I said sorry no I just can't do that to anything that's alive."
Guy #2 "Yeah I know what you mean."
(I soooo wanted to know what they meant)

The 24 Divisadero:
Woman "Ewww no.  If he wanted that then I wanted dinner at A16."

The N Judah:
Guy "Well no I didn't read the book I saw the movie but I felt smarter after it was done."

Woman #1 "Can we get in?"
Woman #2 "Of course we can get in."
Woman #1 "I don't know I feel to old to go there."
Woman #2 "Let it go, we've talked about this--our boobs are big our skirts are short---we are going."

The J Church:
Guy #1 "I could've gotten him off but (sigh) I had too much on my mind to think about his needs. "
Guy #2 Massive eye-roll.


So next time you are thinking about driving or taking a cab think again...jump on a MUNI train or bus because you never know what you might hear.


Answer to previous post trivia question:  Supposedly it is the Lab but everyone has their own opinion
This posts trivia question:  In what US city did the first subway system open?

Comments