SALTINES AND BUTTER...DON'T JUDGE

Sometimes you are sitting at home and craving a snack.  You open the cabinet doors and scan the contents thinking, ugh I need to go to the grocery store soon.  But stuck in the back is a box of saltines you grab and pull out.  Being out of peanut butter I open the refrigerator and again, ugh need some groceries.  Then I see the butter and think why not--so here's the quick recipe.  


First of all you have to have the Original Premium Saltines from Nabisco.  There are other brands out there but they are not the same.  The butter just has to be grade AA salted, preferably your favorite brand.  It's best to have the butter be a little soft in order for you to spread it better on the cracker.  As for the amount that is up to you.  


I like a basic dollop spread evenly upon the cracker and five is about my limit.  When I bite into this creamy, salty, crunchy goodness I suddenly have a childhood flashback.  I'm sitting at the kitchen table with a bowl of hot tomato soup in front of me and a plate of crackers with butter.  Yes this simple dish, while probably not very good for me physically, is good for me mentally--reminding me of simpler times as it were where my only worries were getting up in time to catch Saturday morning cartoons and getting out of church in time to listen to Casey Kasem's Top 40 Countdown on the radio--the AM radio.  Tastes and memories are seemingly inexorably tied together and it often explains how people can turn to food in times of stress, heartache, depression.  You want that sensory memory to transport you back to a time in ones life that is remembered as happy and content and even something as simple as butter and crackers can help accomplish that--and it's tasty too.  

Comments

  1. There are few things better than this snack... but it is so bad for you.. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment